Thursday, December 10, 2009

intellectual endurance training.

It's finals week, and I've figured it all out: I need to write at least six to seven pages every day for the next ten days if I have any hope of finishing everything on time. This sounds pretty manageable, until you realize that writing six decent pages is not entirely a piece of cake, and that, once you've been writing that much for a few days in a row, the chances of remaining at the top of your intellectual game decline steadily. So, by next Friday, I will probably be writing in gibberish.

I've started to think of grad school as one very long intellectual marathon; using that analogy, I really need to work on increasing my brain stamina. Perhaps listening to bad pop songs on repeat, eating fried egg sandwiches for dinner every night and failing to do my laundry are not the best ways to train for this marathon? And shit, when you put it that way, my life sounds pathetic.

6 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

sad porkix.

i also have not done my laundry for a while, but hope to hold out until my underwear supply is exhausted.

i bet that's something everyone on teh internets wanted to know.

FLG said...

Just try to spend as little time in Lauinger as possible.

Julia said...

Gremlix: Yes, I am a sad Porkix. And there aren't even any brownies at the library to cheer me up. College was certainly superior to grad school. Woe is us.

FLG: Funny you should say that, because I've spent the entire day in Lauinger. I would go elsewhere, but I'm never productive at home and sitting all day in coffee shops gets kind of expensive. Do you have any suggestions for me? Is there a super secret library on campus I haven't discovered yet?

FLG said...

I don't know that it's much better, but you might want to check out the medical library. I haven't been in there in a while, but if you go upstairs I think you can find a nice, bright spot. http://dml.georgetown.edu/

Lauinger is just so damn depressing. I was in there for less than an hour this week and felt miserable for the rest of the day.

Miss Self-Important said...

It is midnight and I need dinner. What is the recipe for fried egg sandwich?

Julia said...

FLG: I will look into that. Good to know there may be another option.

Gremlix: Ha. It's the same as making a fried onion sandwich, actually, just substitute eggs. Sigh.