Monday, June 21, 2010

women and weed.

I am reading Herodotus, which, I am happy to report, has been quite fun. So far, I have learned two very important lessons: 1. Oracles are tricky tricksters and misinterpreting them often leads directly to death and destruction, and 2. Women are very, very dangerous, and their mere presence often leads directly to death and destruction. It helps that oracles were often women, so basically you can just apply the second lesson and be done with it.

Suddenly, I am suspicious of myself.

Also, I have learned from Herodotus that potheads are as old as time: Scythians used to take hemp and cast it on to hot stones, which, Herodotus tells us, "gives off smoke and a vapor...the Scythians in their delight at the steam bath howl loudly." Did they also suddenly crave olives and pita bread? Because if so, they sound exactly like boys I knew in high school.

2 comments:

FLG said...

You make it seem like you'd never heard of Roman Red and rolling papyrus.

Julia said...

Ha! No, I haven't. But I'm pretty sure Herodotus would have enjoyed Mel Brooks.