Thursday, July 9, 2015

Wollstonecraft & Shelley

I recently finished reading a biography of Mary Wollstonecraft and her daughter, Mary Shelley. The book is somewhat histrionically titled Romantic Outlaws but, given the unorthodox lives that both Wollstonecraft and Shelley lived, histrionics don't seem altogether unwarranted. 

Wollstonecraft died only 10 days after Shelley was born, so chronologically their lives did not overlap for long, but Charlotte Gordon alternates the book chapters between mother and daughter, which highlights the influence of Wollstonecraft's legacy on Shelley's life.  

For some reason, though, I was particularly struck by a peripheral tidbit about Wollstonecraft's relationship with William Godwin, Mary Shelley's father:
They relied on the birth control system of the time: no sex for three days after menstruation, and then, since everyone believed that frequent intercourse lowered the possibility of conception, a lot of sex for the rest of the month.
Given that she was using this method: 1) with a man who was not her husband at the time, and 2) while already the unwed mother of a small child, this seems like utter lunacy to me. Couldn't she put together that sex = babies, and therefore more sex = more babies? People had been reproducing for thousands of years by 1797had no one figured this out?! Even blood-letting seems more logical.

In any event, the book achieved exactly what I imagine the author wanted: I am now in the process of reading Wollstonecraft, and I have every intention of finally getting around to finally reading Frankenstein, too. I am overdue for both, but particularly Wollstonecraft, given that she's the only female political theorist of note born before 1900. I avoided reading her because I assumed she was added to the canon only because she was a woman. While I still think this is probably true, I've realized it doesn't matter much. She wrote the first modern argument for women's equality, and it's possible that only a woman would have written such a book.  

4 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

You didn't think the fact that her first husband was a pirate was bizarre? Also her prose is insufferable. In her travelogue of Scandinavia (inspired by her travels to the region to recover the booty that her pirate husband stashed there during the Revolution but apparently could not be bothered to redeem himself), she discusses fairies. I think she is only well-known b/c people feel compelled to include a woman in early modern syllabi and I guess not enough political theorists have read Jacqueline Pascal or Catherine Macaulay or the half-dozen female novelists of this period or anyone more serious and less scandalous.

Also, doesn't having sex every single day decrease your chance of getting pregnant b/c it reduces sperm count w/o leaving sufficient time to regenerate? It is weird that they'd think that you'd be most fertile immediately after menstruation though. I think Jewish purity law also prohibits sex right after menstruation, but I never thought that was for contraceptive purposes.

Emily Hale said...

I love this early NFPing. Fascinating.

I want to read Frankenstein, too.

Julia said...

MSI: I don't know about fairies, but so far A Vindication has been pretty readable. And her first "husband" (they never married) was not exactly a pirate, he was an American businessman with imperfect morals. (There was no swashbuckling.) Was Jacqueline Pascal the sister of Blaise? I didn't even know she wrote anything. Do you have suggestions for me?

I think that not having sex every day decreases your chances of getting pregnant better than the reverse. Let's just say that, if it was 1790ish and I was unmarried and trying to raise a small child, I'd be practicing abstinence. Even back then they knew that no sex = no babies.

Emily: Yes, I agree. I wish there was an NFP handbook from 1790 that I could read. Did they even know about sperm then? I need to read a history of birth control next.

Miss Self-Important said...

I thought he stole a bunch of treasure from France during the Revolution, stashed it in Sweden, and then sent Wollstonecraft and Daughter #1 to get it? I mean, it's not hijacking boats per se, but it's kind of piracy. I believe there is a line in the resulting travelogue in which MW claims to feel "embosomed by fairies" or something like that. I guess Romanticism is a common disease of the period.

Yes, Jacqueline was Blaise's sister and apparently a genius, and she wrote some tracts on education. I don't know that she's better or more important than Wollstonecraft as a woman writer, but she's certainly better than Romantic schlock, and the "we need a woman on this syllabus" imperative seems pretty indiscriminate.

Well, yes, no sex better than sex all the time for reliable pregnancy avoidance. I was just thinking whether it made any sense as a contraceptive strategy once you've ruled out abstinence.