Thursday, October 27, 2016

gchat, circa 2008.

Date: June 18, 2008
Players: Me and a friend, who shall here remain anonymous should she object to me printing this heretofore private conversation.
Context: This is a very small excerpt from a very long gchat conversation. My friend and I were both about a year into our first post-college jobs, and thinking about applying to graduate school. We were discussing our future plans. I was reading Camus and Nietzsche at the time. (I have no idea what my friend was reading.)
Disclaimer: I found this chat while searching for something else in my gmail, and it amused me. I fixed some typos so as to appear smarter than I actually was at the time.

me: …weren't you going to enlighten me about the void?

friend: ah yes…ok, so the void

me:  i am interested in the void
  considering i am living in it

friend: no
  you are employed
  and have a home
  the void is the uncertainty
 
me: no, no, i am in the void
  there is uncertainty
  it is not like school
  where the end is clear, and the parameters set
  i could quit my job and wander through asia
  no one would stop me
  void

friend: no, that's not the real void

me: as long as there are no rules, there is void

friend: that's some other void

me: no, void is when you have to make up the plan as you go along
   unlike the transition from high school to college

friend: that's like the void of generally having a lot of time before death

 me: yes! VOID

2 comments:

Alex said...

i would be surprised if i was not right about who this friend is! i can't think of anyone else who would tell you that you are thinking of a different void.

Julia said...

You're definitely thinking of the right person.