Friday, January 11, 2008

identity crisis, cont.

I want to go to Israel on a Birthright trip. I told this to someone recently, and they seemed to think that, as an entirely non-Jewish person, I shouldn’t be allowed to take advantage of the opportunity. Honestly, I kind of see their point.

But, in defense of myself, I don’t identify as anything, Jewish or otherwise. I did make my first communion, but that was 14 years ago, and I only did it because I wanted a party. And yes, I am aware how awful that sounds.

In any case, I qualify to go on Birthright, so clearly they don’t think I’m cheating. And I really want to go to Israel. Considering how much my Father (who the Jew in this scenario) is going to flip out when I tell him I’m going, Israel should be very happy I’m coming at all. Right? Right.

Also, while I was actually looking for something normal, I found these today:







Why doesn't the US have a Hannah Arendt stamp?

7 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

Not that you asked, but I don't think you should go on birthright unless you're going to be accompanied by friends and plan to extend your ticket to actually see a city after you're done.

Jennie said...

i love the stamps! but clearly the postal service missed out on two very important figures: machiavelli and voltaire.

Julia said...

MSI: There are several different kinds of birthright trips, from what I've heard. I want to take the city one. Also, I'm trying to get someone to come with me. (Becky?!)

But in any case, it's a free trip! I can't turn that down.

Jennie: Ha! Too true!

Miss Self-Important said...

Is there a city one? That wasn't an option when I did it. The idea seemed to be to keep you as far out of populated areas as possible. Lots of outdoorsy fun, but a Bedouin tent for tourists in the middle of the Negev is not exactly representative of the country.

Anonymous said...

Let's do it.

Alex said...

Are you guys really going to Israel together?? No fair! I want to go!

Julia said...

MSI: I think so. I have to do more research.

Becky: Yay!

Alex: Convert?