Thursday, September 3, 2009

mind vomit.

Grad school makes brain mush. But here are some thoughts:

1. 97.6% of the undergraduate student body here wears flip-flops and JCrew, simultaneously. And roughly 88% of the female undergraduate population carries a Longchamp bag in brown or black. (I also have a feeling that irony is not widely understood here.) My question is: Who are these pod-people, and what should I do with them?

2. I am not smarter than I was as a senior in college, and yet as a grad student I think people expect me to be smarter than seniors in college. This is problematic.

3. I need to find a 4th class that won't make my brain explode. PhySci is, sadly, no longer an option.

4. Junior mints: brain food or poison?

6 comments:

Jennie said...

LOVE junior mints!

another U of C alum friend of mine who went to georgetown for public policy grad school, said the exact same thing about the undergrads. she was also really weirded out by how excited the pod-people were about their blood being "hoya-blue."

Miss Self-Important said...

Upside: You get a lot of privileges on the assumption that you are smarter than a college senior without anyone ever putting that to the test.

I also have a 4th class problem. How can I write four serious, 30-page papers in one semester? Too bad you can only put physci off until 4th year, and not grad school.

FLG said...

Just wait until it's snowing and 45.7% are still wearing J. Crew and flip-flops.

Alex said...

do people in new york ironically carry longchamp bags?

Jennie said...

re: the four 30 page paper thing: people take extensions that sometimes stretch out for~ever. this has something to do with why people don't take comps or advance to candidacy as fast as they should. don't let it happen to you!

Julia said...

Jennie: Well, I bleed maroon-maroon. Yay Chicago.

Rita: Who says no one ever puts it to the test? I am being TESTED.

FLG: Ugh. Is it wrong to hope they get frostbite?

Alex: My comment on irony doesn't pertain directly to the Longchamp bags. It was more of a general observation. Did I mention my brain was mush? And, to answer your question, yes -- New Yorkers are capable of doing anything ironically.