Monday, February 15, 2010

a flood of weber.

I'm sure you all doubt my ridiculous talk of cosmic academic coincidences. But please, seriously, someone needs to explain to me how it's possible that, having never been assigned to read Max Weber before, I have read him already four times this semester, and in four different classes. Twenty-four years of Weber-less existence, and now, he is everywhere. Is this not a very strange coincidence? Is it not academically cosmic!? Come on!

(Those of you who took sosc at Chicago will object to my never having read Weber before, but unlike the rest of you my third quarter of sosc was taught by the world's most ridiculous professor (Gopal, I am still angry with you, FYI) and we spent so much time reading Marx we never got to Weber. I kid you not: We spent at least three classes discussing On The Jewish Question.)

I hope this flood of Weber ends better than my year of reading Nietzsche, which was not at all pleasant. So far it's going better, but in general it seems to me that an overdose of any kind of depressed German can't be healthy in the long run. But as long as I don't end up with a tattoo that reads "fundamental doubt is the father of knowledge," I think everything will be ok.

No comments: