Thursday, February 25, 2010

lessons learned.

Things I have learned so far in grad school:

1. When you are speaking, no one is listening to you.
2. In any grad seminar someone will repeat exactly what you just said five minutes ago and act as if it was entirely their own idea in the first place.
3. All undergrads assume that grads students a) live on campus and b) have unlimited free time and nothing to do except answer their questions.
4. Political theory grad students are very awkward creatures.
5. Awkwardness is a state of mind.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

#2 drives me insane. one of my friends describes the act as "plagiarizing the room."

Julia said...

Oh, I like that phrase. I will be plagiarizing that!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Beware of profs guilty of #2-ing student ideas soon after dismissing or ignoring them. It can happen.

Miss Self-Important said...

As you may recall, my TAs in college strongly reinforced the perception that 3b was true by giving out their contact information and being in the library all day. What pressing engagements could one possibly have in the library that are more important than answering all my extremely important questions about Plato?

This is one reason I intend to avoid the undergrad library once I start TAing.

Julia said...

Sigh. I wish the undergrads had their own library. If only because they really don't understand the concept of quiet.