Thursday, February 17, 2011

the gender gap.

Yesterday, my new glasses arrived in the mail. I picked them out a couple weeks ago, when I was in New York visiting my family. After opening the package, my first thought was that there had been a mistake, because these glasses were way more hipster than I remembered. My second thought, on realizing that I had not in fact been sent the wrong pair of glasses, was that I couldn't imagine my mother actually allowed me to purchase them. After spending the whole morning wearing them, however, I think I remember why I picked them. The moral of this story: change is hard, especially when it messes with your face.

Also, I had coffee this morning with three of my closest male grad school friends. I was wearing my new glasses, feeling all self-consciously hipster, waiting for what I thought would be the inevitable snide/disingenuous comments. The result: not one of them said anything about my new glasses, despite the fact that two out of the three of them walked right past me without recognizing me.

Men are so strange.

No comments: