Friday, January 9, 2015

bread making

After bemoaning unemployment, I should point out that, being unemployed, I have a lot of time to do stuff that I would never do normally. Such as: making bread. I've wanted to do this for a while, and even more so since I read this article in The New Yorker. To briefly sum up, the article explains that there is a bunch of crap in more store-bought bread that we should not be eating. Given that bread is really only flour, water, yeast and salt, the number of ingredients in your average store-bought wheat bread is staggering.

After reading the article, I started buying bread from the Whole Foods bakery, where they steer clear of the weird additives. But, given the aforementioned unemployment, I thought that paying Whole Foods prices for bread was a bit absurd. All this is to say that I have now started baking bread at home.

The initial lumpy goo
The risen lumpy goo
The finished product!

And it tastes alright, too. Not as good as the pricey Whole Foods bread, but I imagine I'll get there one day. Or maybe I won't, because as soon as I get busy again, I highly doubt that baking bread will be on top of my list of things to do. 

2 comments:

Alex said...

Ooh, fancy! I am jealous! Did you use whole wheat flour to get that color?

Julia said...

Yes, it's mostly whole wheat flour. I used this recipe, which is really, really simple. Not fancy at all, really! Just time-consuming.