Friday, January 2, 2015

London & Oxford

I always mean to take more pictures when I travel, but I seem to get too distracted by being someplace to actually take out my camera and document it. A failure of artistic vision, probably. In any case, here are some of the pictures I remember to take on a recent trip to London and Oxford.

Tower Bridge

Interesting lighting underneath Tower Bridge

Radcliffe Camera in Oxford, with University Church of St. Mary in the background

John Locke's grave! In Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford

Reflections of Christ Church College

I was most excited about finding John Locke in Oxford--I knew Locke went to Christ Church but I had no idea he was buried there until we entered the Cathedral, and then there he was, right next to John Ruskin! I love his epitaph, though I was more impressed by the idea of being a "censor of moral philosophy" before I learned that a censor is basically a fancy Oxbridge title for a student supervisor. Josh and I were definitely the only people touring the college who were excited to find Locke's grave. In fact, to get that picture Josh had to stand and block the hallway so people would stop walking into the shot.

1 comment:

Miss Self-Important said...

I will never understand what the difference among all those positions was. They all seemed to involve overseeing students, and they had no clear connection w/ what Locke was studying himself. He was variously a senior student, lecturer in Greek, something called "Praelector Rhetoricus," and Censor of Moral Philosophy, but during this entire sequence of appointments, he was actually spending his time studying medicine, and not Greek, rhetoric, or moral philosophy. I leave these details to the Englishmen to worry over.