Monday, November 9, 2020

the annals of pregnancy, part four

33 weeks now and officially feeling huge. Whereas until a month or so ago someone might have just thought I was chunky, I am now unquestionably pregnant. The baby moves all the time—on a walk this weekend I tried to explain to Josh what it feels like to walk with something moving inside you. After listening to my explanation he summarized it well: it's like trying to walk with a four pound gyroscope inside you. It's also like trying to sit and sleep and eat with a gyroscope inside you. Uncomfortable. 

My joints hurt, especially getting up in the morning. Standing for long periods is no longer feasible. I have trouble washing the dishes because my belly prevents my short arms from reaching into the sink. Bending down to pick up anything is difficult. Catching sight of myself in a mirror or window is disconcerting. Hard to imagine how enormous I'll feel in another month. Sigh. 

(I am of course very lucky to have no pregnancy complications and therefore no reason to worry about delivering early, but keeping that positive thought constantly in mind is hard.) 

I have failed to purchase any products to ameliorate my various pregnancy ailments. The only thing I bought (besides clothes) was a very highly rated pregnancy pillow, which I have used precisely once. It's so big it doesn't fit in the bed, and the one night I used it I woke up totally drenched in sweat and no less sore than before. After that debacle, I decided to ignore all the ads for belly oil and compression socks and belly bands. Tell me, Dear Readers: do any of these things help? 

The true problem is that I hate buying things. It makes me anxious. Even under normal circumstances I spend an unreasonable amount of time researching products, reading reviews, and comparison shopping to make sure I'm getting a good deal. Then, when the purchase doesn't work out, I am very frustrated. Buying things for pregnancy has not been great, but at least a lot of it is cheap and I know more or less what I need and when. Shopping for an infant I have never met has been is exponentially worse. Everything is expensive and only useful for a limited time! And I have a feeling that about half of what is listed as "essential" is actually totally unnecessary, but I won't know for sure until he's here. But once he's here he's going to need things immediately, so I should probably be buying stuff now! 

Despite getting lots of good advice on what to buy from friends (thank you, friends!), my solution has basically been to give in to paralysis and buy nothing. My parents generously offered to buy us a stroller but after much, much research I could not decide which one to get. Ultimately I just ceded the decision to my mother, and while I was very happy to get the (very fancy) stroller, I was even more thrilled not to have to make the decision. 

My large extended Irish Catholic family has also come in handy (for once) since various aunts and uncles and cousins repeatedly asked me for registry info, which forced me to put together some random list of things that may (perhaps?) be useful. The actual decision about what to purchase is, mercifully, their problem. I have managed to not buy a good amount of essential items this way, which has been very helpful. 

Josh, who is still wearing clothes he bought in high school, as been very little help with this my shopping "problem." If it were up to him, we'd go to Costco a week before the baby is due and get everything at once. Which actually might end up being what we do, since I appear unable to buy anything in advance. 

5 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

I think you will find it difficult to follow Josh's instincts b/c Costco doesn't have any baby stuff except diapers and maybe one brand of formula. 10/10 recommend their diapers tho.

Emily Hale said...

I hate buying stuff, too--especially as you don't know what will be helpful and what won't be. How will your baby sleep? Who knows?! The good thing is with Amazon prime you can have anything you want in about two days. I think buying stuff in advance is overrated.

I really loved baby wearing. I like my ergo though it didn't work till six months so I used other little baby wraps before that (though one could get an infant insert, especially since you'll be having a cold weather baby. Though how to keep a baby and yourself warm while baby wearing is another long complicated question.

Anyway--for the beginning some diapers, some onesies, and some spit rags!

Alex said...

The pregnancy pillow didn't work for me either but I did end up sleeping propped on several regular pillows (easier to position than that long noodle thing) and had to move to the guest bedroom since my set up took up so much space.

I don't think they let you leave the hospital without a carseat so you do need that in advance!

We were glad to have had the main furniture (cribs, changing table) and contraptions (swing, pack n play) set up in advance because we were too sleep deprived to read instructions and handle tools the first four months, but hopefully that won't be your situation.

Julia said...

MSI: I think diapers and formula and baby clothes (which my Costco has) are pretty much what Josh has in mind. These seems pretty essential?

Emily: Thank you, that makes me feel somewhat less crazy! One of the gifts we received is a baby carrier, and I've been wondering how exactly I'm going to use it when it's below freezing outside. One of the many baby gear mysteries I guess I will figure out along the way!

Alex: Yes, a car seat is one of the essential items someone else has purchased for me, thereby relieving me of the responsibility. And you make a good point about assembly and installation. Seems wise to get that done while everyone still remembers how to use tools safely.

Emily Hale said...

Yes--I think that they sell special coats, but I think I just left my coat unbuttoned, bundled up the baby and then held a blanket on top of him. But I don't know that we did long walks in it when it was below freezing.

They are also great for around the house! And anywhere that a stroller would be a pain (ah for the days of coffee shops and bookstores...)