Monday, October 29, 2007

in which i whine, and then gush.

I’m so busy at work, I actually brought some home with me this weekend. And it turns out I’m so busy with other things I didn’t have time to do any of it. I didn’t even procrastinate (much).

Ostensibly, a social life is a good thing. Being me, though, sometimes I really just want to read my book. I’ve been reading Lolita for a month now, and while I’m really enjoying it and I really want to finish it, there’s no time. Even in college I had time to read; I used to read for pleasure during finals. What’s happened to my life? I’m completely out of clean clothes, and our cupboards at home are totally bare. It’s getting kind of pathetic, really. I plan to do all of these necessary things (food shopping, laundry) tonight, after I go to the gym. This means that the work I was planning to bring home tonight won’t get done, again.

Despite my whirlwind weekend, there’s nothing interesting to write about. My brain has sort of been turned to mush by my continuing obsession with Jens Lekman, who I fortuitously discovered was playing in Williamsburg last night. And I know I’ve said this about concerts before, but it was amazing.

I’ve seen a lot of mediocre concerts in my day, but in the past couple months I’ve seen a string of fantastic performances. (Another thing to add to my “Why New York Is Better Than Where You Live” list.) Like the last concert I gushed over, this one was pretty spare; it was just Jens with a guitar, accompanied by a woman playing the bongos. He also had this awesome playback thing, so he could record himself beatboxing and then sing over it. Sounds cool, right? It was. Even my roommates, who were not so familiar with his songs to begin with, were fans by the end.

And after he sang a perfect cover of “You Can Call Me Al,” it was all over for me. Combine that with that fact that he has an anti-war song about his hairdresser, a love song about cutting off the tip of his index finger, and a song that mentions Nietzsche, and I'm ready to tattoo his name on my ass. So when Jens asked us, during the second encore, “Does anyone have to go to work in the morning, or can I just keep playing songs forever?” I do believe I shouted out, “Forever!”

Who cares about work, anyway?

No comments: